Try this boiled eggs and avocado dish that’s perfect for an early morning start to keep you fuelled and full.
Using spinach as a base, avocado packed with good fats, and boiled eggs bursting with protein and more good fat, it’s perfect for keeping you topped up for the morning.
The killer is it’s really simple to make too – if I can do it, anyone can.
Key to the dish is getting the eggs just right. I like the yolks of mine to still be soft, with a runny bit in the middle, but for the white to be solid – I’m not one for snotty eggs (or for snot of any kind in fact)
However you like them, it’s imperative you stop them cooking more from radiant heat when you take them off the boil. When you reach that magic time that suits you, whack them straight out of the boiling water and into a pan of cold.
After about a minute you should be able to peel them easily under a luke warm running tap.
Everything else in this dish is just chopping and drizzling. What could be easier?
1 handful of spinach
1/2 a ripe avocado
2 fresh eggs (at room temperature)
drizzle of olive oil
squeeze of pepper
dash of lemon juice
- Boil the kettle
- Take two room temperature eggs and place them in a saucepan on a hot ring on the hob and immediately cover with boiling water.
- Time your eggs. For me 5.5 minutes is bang on. For runnier eggs, try around four minutes, for hard boiled push up to seven or eight.
- When the time is up. Stand the eggs in cold water for a minute and peel under luke warm water.
- Put a handful of spinach in a bowl. Half the avocado and twist to separate. If you use a desert spoon and the avo is ripe enough, you should be able to scoop one half off the peel in one move. Slice and arrange on top of the spinach.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
- Half the eggs, place on top and add some cracked pepper.